Friday, March 18, 2016

Letter 42: April 13, 1943

Letter 42: April 13, 1943
Postmarked R.A.F. Station, Pershore

 
 

RCAF Overseas
Attached to RAF England
April 13/43 

Dear Ellen

            Received a welcome letter from you a few days ago & I see your still in love with the same man, if you keep it up you will be busting your record. So Dad is happily married now, it will seem funny to him for awhile I’m thinking. Received a letter from George Wilkinson a few days ago & he had only been over a few weeks. I suppose you’ve heard that David Lowther is missing, sure is to bad isn’t it. Mrs Lowther will sure feel bad. Haven’t had a letter from Jack for quite awhile so I don’t know what he is doing.

            Well in another 6 days I hope to be on leave & just watch me go. We have been worked dammed hard lately & I’m sure going to appreciate my leave. When I leave here I might be going on 4 engine aircraft. They get bigger everytime.

            It sure is a swell day today, was sitting in the sun after dinner & it was really nice & warm. Glad to hear you received my Cablegram on your birthday. About the stockings Ellen I think you had better forget about them as I guess they are dammed hard to get.

            By the way Cousin Bessie has been in the hospital & had an operation but is feeling okay now. Auntie Janet has been laid up also with her rheumatism but is feeling better now.

            Have had some good grub lately, a lot of the boys have got parcels from home, one fellow got some oranges & they were really good. I don’t know how they kept so well.

            Well Ellen about all for now so I’ll say adios for now

            Your loving brother
            Fred

 
NOTE

Normally, aircrew received one week's leave every six weeks, and would be issued with a return rail pass to a destination of his choice, plus the necessary temporary ration cards.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment