Monday, December 21, 2015

Letter 15: September 17, 1941

Letter 15:  September 17, 1941  from Tuxford, SK
 

 
 
 
 
 
Weds Sept 17/41

 

Dear Ellen
            I received your letter before leaving Yorkton & thanks very much for the verses, they were very good. I’m sorry I didn’t write sooner but with the Wings Parade & packing I was kind of busy & didn’t get around to writing you. We got our wings last Thursday & Dad & I drove on home the same night.
            I won’t say much in this letter as I’ll be seeing you soon. This is the reason I’m writing you, to tell you that Dad and I are going up to Swift Current this Sat. So you can tell Archie & Muriel that we are coming. We aren’t sure what time on Sat. but it will be sometime Sat.

            So I’ll say goodbye for now until Sat.
            So solong for now
            Your loving brother
            Fred
 


 

Fred received his Wings September 13, 1941 along with him were some other boys from Saskatchewan.

Ernest Leslie Holden from Moose Jaw
Ernest was the son of Ian and Florence Holden and the husband of Margaret Holden
Ernest was K.I.A on 26th April 1945

James Richard Carswell of Turtleford
James was born 6 Dec 1918 the son of David and Mabel Carswell
James was K.I.A. 15th August 1943

Harold Bjorn Einarson of Wynyard
Harold was born 20 Nov 1920, a twin to Johann Walter, to Haroldur & Elin Einarson
Harold was K.I.A. 10th September 1942

Johann Walter “Wally” Einarson of Wynyard
Wally was born 20 Nov 1920, a twin to Harold, to Haroldur & Elin Einarson
Wally was K.I.A. 25th February 1944

Lyle Vernon Flury of Midale
Lyle returned from the war, married and had children.

 Also Fred’s good friend Garvin Myhand “ARK” from Arkansas
Information on No 11 S.F.T.S Coarse No 32 From July 3, 1941 to Sept 13, 1941 in Yorkton, Sk can be found at this blog
 
 
 
These family pictures, taken in Swift Current on Fred's last leave before shipping overseas, would be the last time the family was together.

 












 

No comments:

Post a Comment